Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Thing 22

I am familiar with ebooks. You have the initial price and then each year you pay for upgrades. Not ludicrous when your library users are 98% impoverished and do not have access to computers at home. I don't know about audio books. I remember a woman on a plan saying that bound books were a thing of the past. Fortunately, there will always be people like me that enjoy the feel of a book in my hands. Besides, something will be lost mentally if people only use audio books. Reading is a took not only for information, but for expanding dendrites and other paths. Ebooks are enjoyable. I like the ones that you download into a small book like computer base so that you can make notes on the margins (like all good readers should!) No, I do not think e or audio books will ever completely replace the wonderful binding and weight of a book in my hand. Besides, a bound book is cheaper to replace than a computer when tossed or dropped.

No comments: